For Patients/Visitors

What you and your family need to know while you are a patient in the Trauma Burn Unit

Our visitor policy has changed temporarily due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, and may continue to change as the situation evolves.  Please see our Michigan Medicine Visitor Guidelines During COVID-19 for the most updated information. 

Time and length of visit will be decided between the nurse and the family with consideration for the patient's condition and the family's needs.

Intensive Care Unit:  (734) 936-9631

Helpful Hotlines

Stay Well - Be Kind to Your Mind: 1-888-536-6136 "8"

Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: Text 1-800-422-4453 or Call 1-800-422-4453

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 or text LOVEIS to 22522

National Sexual Assault Hotline: Call 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

Substance Abuse & Mental Health Helpline: 1-800-985-5990

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 or text HOME to 741741

Michigan OK2SAY Stop the Silence:

National Human Trafficking Hotline: Call 1-888-373-7888 or Text 233733

Helpful Phone Numbers

Social Work: (734) 936-9653 or (734) 936-9652. Social workers support and serve patients dealing with psychosocial issues/concerns, bereavement, domestic violence/sexual assault, diagnosis and illness. They provide counseling referrals and offer guidance on long- and short-term caregiver needs, long-term discharge planning, housing concerns and Advance Directive issues. In addition, they have limited resources to assist qualifying patients with emergency clothing, transportation, food and prescription needs.

Discharge Planning: (734) 936-0982

Trauma Burn Clinic Nurse: (734) 936-5738
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. They will answer questions on wound care after discharge.

Trauma Burn Clinic Clerk: (734) 936-9665

You can reach your physician through the nurse or clerk. After hours, call the Intensive Care Unit for any questions or concerns.

Please let our staff know if you would like a meeting with the Trauma/Burn Physicians or other team members and our social workers will help you to schedule a time.

Insurance/Patient Accounts

Patients Accounts Office: (734) 936-6929 Staff can confirm and update insurance information and discuss options for patients with no insurance.


Visitors can park in the structure next to the main hospital entrance. You must bring your parking ticket to the unit clerk and have it stamped to receive reduced parking. Valet parking is available at the main hospital entrance at a non-discounted $5 fee.

If you have questions regarding paying for parking, please contact your social worker or the Guest Assistance Program at (734) 764-6893, located on the second floor of the hospital, east of the gift shop.

ATMs are on the second level of the main hospital, east of the FRIENDS Gift Shop, near the Chapel.

Visitor Guidelines

  • For frequently asked questions about visiting, see the Michigan Medicine Patient and Visitor Guide page.
  • Before entering the unit, please use the telephone in the main hallway for patient condition.
  • Please consider limiting visitors to immediate family with 2-4 visitors at a time as our space is limited.
  • Stay in your loved one's room when visiting. Our unit hallway needs to stay clear in case of an emergency and to protect our other patients' privacy.
  • The unit is closed to all families and visitors 7-8 a.m. and 7-8 p.m. during staff report.
  • Mondays are Grand Rounds and the unit is closed to all visitors and families from 8 a.m. until 10 a.m. This is when all doctors and staff involved in your loved one's care share important information. This information is available to families after 10 a.m.
  • No live flowers or plants may be brought in for patients due to infection risk.
  • We encourage all cell phone calls to be made in the waiting room or hospital lobby.

Where can we stay?

The Med Inn: A 30 room hotel connected to the University of Michigan Hospital. For reservations call (800) 544-8684 or (734) 936-0100.

For other lodging information, contact the Patient and Visitor Accommodations Program at (800) 544-8684 or (734) 936-0135

Where can we eat?

There are multiple options available to you for getting food, snacks, coffee, and beverages while visiting the Michigan Medicine hospitals and clinics.  Click here to learn more.

Let the staff know if you bring in food for your loved one. This is to make sure that it is written down and meets their dietary needs.

Medical Information

  • To protect your loved one's privacy, medical information is given out only when a code word has been made by the patient or the patient's legal next of kin. We will not give out information without the code word.
  • If your loved one is able, he or she is in control of medical decision making. This includes deciding who visits and who receives medical information.
  • If your loved one has an Advanced Directive, Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, please bring a copy to the hospital. Information is available.

Families of Children

  • To serve the special needs of children, parents may stay at the bedside at all times.
  • Please be careful bringing in other children to visit. Our patients may have trouble fighting an infection and could become very ill.
  • We will screen children before visits so please talk to the nurse before entering the room. You are responsible for your child's behavior when visiting.
  • We record your child's entire food and drink for the day so let the staff know about any food or drink that you give to your child.

If you would like to help in your loved one's care please ask our staff. We like our families to take part, but please don't feel that we expect or require you to be present at all times. Injuries can place a strain on whole families, we suggest breaks so families can rest and recharge. Our goal is to give the best possible care to your loved one while they are a patient on our unit.

Keeping in Touch

A computer is located in the Trauma Burn Unit waiting room. Please feel free to use it. A free Care Pages service helps you set up a web page to keep in touch with your family and friends about your loved one.

To send correspondence to a patient, please clearly mark envelopes with the patient's name and room number and mail to Trauma Burn Center, 1500 E. Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.

Spiritual Support

Our Department of Pastoral Care is available to offer religious and spiritual support to patients and families.

  • Contact the chaplains at (734) 936-4041 or request that a chaplain be paged.
  • Chaplains are routinely available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. After hours and on weekends an on-call chaplain is available to respond to emergency needs.
  • The Chapel is open 24-hours a day, for meditation and silent prayer.

Worship Services

Main Chapel on Level 2, University Hospital

Catholic Mass: Monday through Friday at noon, Sunday at 11:00 a.m.

FAQs for patients after discharge

  1. Who takes care of me after I'm discharged from the hospital or emergency department?
    The Trauma Burn Clinic provides outpatient care for patients who have traumatic injuries, burns, or other surgical conditions. Any patient who has been hospitalized under the care of the TBE service should come for follow-up after discharge. You may also require follow-up with other specialty physicians and/or your family physician.  
  2. How do I call the Trauma Burn Clinic Nurse?
    The nurse is available Monday - Friday from 8 am to 4:30 p.m. The phone number is (734) 936-5738. A message system is available 24 hours a day if the nurse is not readily available. Messages may also be faxed to (734) 647-8962.   
  3. How do I call the Trauma Burn physician?
    A Trauma Burn physician may be reached via the clinic nurse (during above hours).
  4. What if it's at night or a weekend, or holiday?
    Call the Trauma Burn resident on-call through the hospital paging operator at (734) 936-6267. If your concern is not urgent, you may leave a message for the clinic nurse at (734) 936-5738 and your call will be returned during regular clinic hours.
  5. Do I need a referral or authorization for treatment?
    It depends on your insurance. You should check with your insurance company to see if it is necessary.
  6. How do I make an appointment?
    The Trauma Burn Clinic receptionist is also available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The phone number is (734) 936-9665. Non-urgent messages may also be left on the answering machine.
  7. How do I get there?
    Download Trauma Burn Maps (PDF)
  8. Where do I park?
    There are multiple parking options available.  Please see the Parking at Michigan Medicine page for up-to-date details. 
  9. How should I prepare for my clinic appointment?
    • Allow ample time for finding your way here, parking and getting registered.
    • Bring your insurance card and blue U of M card. Stop at the Registration Desk to be sure all of your demographic data is current.
    • Bring all of your medications (or a list of them) with you. This includes anything you take intermittently or on a regular basis, as well as items that you can purchase over-the-counter and herbal & dietary supplements.
    • If you are taking pain medication, bring the medication with you so you may take a dose prior to any procedures.
    • If you are taking narcotic pain relievers, you must have someone else drive you home.
  10. What about scarring?
    Your wounds will be closely monitored for potential scarring. If appropriate, you will be referred to a scar management program at the U of M.
  11. How long will this go on and how many times will I have to be seen?
    This all depends on your injuries and how you are healing. The doctors, nurses and therapists will formulate a plan at each visit.
  12. Is it going to hurt?
    All wounds need to be examined at your clinic appointment. If you require pain medication in order to have your dressing change done, you should bring it with you and take a dose just prior to your appointment.
  13. Can some of my treatment be done closer to home?
    Some treatment can be monitored by your local physician and some cannot. You can discuss this at your first follow-up visit.
  14. How will my primary care physician know what has happened to me?
    By providing your primary care physician's name and address, we can keep in touch and send copies of your notes to your doctor.
  15. Can my family members, friends or case manager come to my appointments with me?
    Yes. Although the exam room may get crowded with more than one person, the support of others close to you is often helpful.
  16. How do I pay for my appointments?
    Be sure your demographic information (address, phone number, insurance information, etc.) is updated at the Registration Desk. Your insurance will be billed first. If there is co-pay you will be expected to pay at the time of your appointment. Any bill for an outstanding balance not covered by insurance will be sent to you.
  17. How do I get more wound care supplies?
    First, check with your insurance company to see if wound care supplies are a covered benefit for you. If they are, also ask if you are required to get them through a "preferred provider." Then ask the clinic nurse or physician to give you a prescription for them. If they are not covered, go to your local pharmacy or check the yellow pages under "Home Health Care Equipment & Supplies" for a supplier near you.

Contact Us

University of Michigan Health System
Trauma Burn Center

1500 E. Medical Center Drive
UH 1C-421
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5033
Administrative Offices: (734) 936-9690
Clinic: (734) 936-5738

PLEASE NOTE:  Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

  • In case of an emergency, please dial 911 or visit the Emergency Department.  For non-emergent treatment or medical concerns, please contact the Trauma Burn Clinic at 734-936-9665 or the Trauma Burn Intensive Care Unit (TBICU) at 734-936-9631.

Maps & Directions

You may find helpful maps to the main UMHS Health Center or any of the UMHS clinics by using the Patient and Visitor's Guide website. Here you can also access maps of each floor of the hospital.

The Trauma Burn Center unit and administrative offices are located on the first floor of University Hospital

The Trauma Burn Clinic is on the second floor of the Taubman Center, Reception F

Understanding Burn Care This website provides useful information for anyone who:

  • Has been burned
  • Cares for or about someone who has been burned
  • Wants to prevent burn injuries
  • Wants to improve laws, policies and standards related to burn injuries and prevention